• You Tube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Public asked to use the NHS wisely ahead of the planned junior doctors strike

Homepage » News » Public asked to use the NHS wisely ahead of the planned junior doctors strike

Public asked to use the NHS wisely ahead of the planned junior doctors strike

Posted on Monday 11th January 2016


Health organisations in Cumbria and across Morecambe Bay are making contingency plans to minimise disruption which could be caused by junior doctors planning to take strike action on Tuesday.

Disruption is likely and some out-patient clinics and planned operations may need to be cancelled in order to ensure safe staffing levels for our hospital and mental health services.

If you are concerned you may be affected please call and check directly with the hospital or service provider.

During this time all health organisations are asking the public to be mindful of the extra pressures and to use their NHS wisely.

Other services are available to those with health concerns and 999 and A&E should only be used for serious accidents and life threatening emergencies.

www.nhs.uk| is a comprehensive resource that can give you advice on which NHS service to access.

Dr David Rogers, Medical Director for NHS Cumbria Clinical Commissioning Group and lead for the North Cumbria System Resilience Group said: “This time of year always sees an increase in pressure right across the health system so we would like the public’s help to ensure everyone uses the right service for their needs. It is very important that we make sure A&E is used for real emergencies only. If you aren’t sure is your ailment is an emergency you can get free and quick advice online through www.nhs.uk| or call NHS 111.”

Advice for patients:

  •  For very minor problems such as a hangover, indigestion or a grazed knee, people should self-care with medication that is often already in the house but can be picked up at the local pharmacy (such as plasters, paracetamol and antacids).
  •  For minor infections, coughs and colds, or sore throats expert advice can be given by your local pharmacist. Pharmacists are highly trained and there is usually a private area for conversations.
  •  For ailments such as stomach pain and vomiting, a persistent cough or ear pain you should call your GP surgery, visit your local minor injuries unit or call 111. 
  •  For things like chest pain, suspected stroke or broken bones you should call 999 or go to your local A&E.

Please see the attached document for advice on choosing the correct NHS service.

Posted on Monday 11th January 2016


Bookmark and Share

© Copyright NHS Cumbria CCG 2020. All rights reserved.